Google the dangers of molds and you will get more than a million hits. Many of these websites dedicate themselves to recounting stories of families getting sick due to mold exposure, sometimes even having to leave their homes because it has become “unlivable.” With so many websites claiming that molds in homes endanger the lives of its dwellers, should you fear for your life and that of your family once you see these cottony-like microorganisms in your home?
One thing you should know right away is that mold is everywhere. It is in the air you breathe inside and outside and on many surfaces of your home. But not all types of molds can cause serious health dangers, not in the short-term anyway.
Although all types of molds can cause health issues, it still depends on the type of species and the length of exposure. The health problems they cause also vary from person to person; those who have compromised immune systems, have allergies, or are asthmatic are at greater risk of developing symptoms associated with mold exposure.
There are some types of molds that can cause immediate harm, though: those that produce mycotoxins, one of the most popular of which is the black mold.
What mycotoxins are
Of the thousands and thousands of recorded mold species, a very small percentage of them can create and release poisonous compounds, known as mycotoxins. These molds typically produce these toxic compounds as a reaction to the presence of other molds and bacteria, or when as a defense mechanism when put under pressure.
Exposure to molds and their effects
Regular molds, when inhaled, touched, or ingested, usually do not cause any immediate health issue. Long-term exposure can be quite different, according to the mold removal experts in Salt Lake City; they can trigger asthma attacks, allergies, and other respiratory-related symptoms.
Those that produce toxins, on the other hand, such as Stachybotrys chartarum (also known as stachy or black mold), can produce poisons powerful enough to cause severe health problems.
Although finding molds in your home is normal, finding them in huge amounts should already concern you. Not only because of the possibility they are the toxin-producing species, but also because these microorganisms can actually eat away at your home’s building materials. It is at this point you should contact a mold removal service in Salt Lake City right away.