A beautifully themed and well-constructed deck is a great addition to any home. This is particularly true if your home has a great view – overlooking the ocean, or perhaps, the vast expanse of grasslands. A deck can be appreciated as a place for sitting back, relaxing and enjoying this great view.
Considering the Safety of Your Home Deck
You need to be careful with the design of your home deck. Along with a strong foundation, putting appropriate railing systems on your home deck can give you peace of mind. So how do you start building?
Conform to Agency Regulations
Choosing the railing system for your home deck requires you to comply with the regulations set by your local government agency. In Australia, for example, handrail construction is carefully regulated as in other aspects of building construction.
- You may use timber as a handrail but should conform to the requirements of Australia’s Timber Framing Code AS 1684.2.1999.
- The height of the handrail should be at least one meter from the deck’s floor surface.
- The space in between vertical railings should not be more than 12.5 centimetres.
- The posts in between railing panels should also be spaced no more than 1.8 metres apart.
Choosing the Appropriate Railing System for Home Deck
Once all the necessary government regulations have been considered, you can now go to your favourite hardware or building construction store to gather the materials and supplies that you will need for your home deck project. It may be a good idea to have a list that includes the minimum requirements of building construction.
- Look at a variety of railing materials and determine whether they comply with government requirements. Don’t forget the aesthetics though. com.au, balustrade design company in Perth, says you should consider a frameless glass balustrade system for your deck as this improves the aesthetics of your home.
- Look at the different styles available and choose one that will best reflect your personality or the overall design theme of your home deck. Ask the vendor of any information on the material that you have chosen.
While you can do the project on your own, consider hiring a contractor. They know more on balustrade design and could even give you advice on different deck railing options. Getting professional services is a good approach if you are not fully aware of your area’s building construction regulations.
By being aware and compliant with government regulations regarding building construction, you can be sure that your home deck’s railing system is not only legally appropriate, but is also a safe place to enjoy the sunset and the gentle breeze every afternoon.