How Mold Could Seriously Damage Your Baby’s Health

Posted on Sep 6 2017 - 1:00am by Lilies and Daisies

Mold infestationWhen it comes to your children's health, you shouldn't overlook the harm mold can cause. Having mold in your house can cause breathing difficulties and allergies. It can be especially dangerous to infants. 

This is why it is best to enlist the help of a mold removal service in Utah as soon as mold starts spreading in your home. Call an expert like waterdamage-saltlakecity.com right away to prevent your children from undergoing any health complications. 

Mold and Child Health

Mold causes more than just damp in your home.  Children with a family history of allergies can develop asthma after being exposed to mold in the house.  It can also cause persistent coughing, shortness of breath and wheezing. This leads some parents to believe their child has bronchitis when in fact they are simply reacting to the mold spores in their environment.

Mold and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome

In young babies, mold can cause inflammation in the lungs and pneumonia due to their underdeveloped immune systems.  They are more likely to have breathing difficulties which could lead to serious complications like an internal hemorrhage. For example, fungus induced pulmonary hemorrhage occurred in ten infants in Cleveland between 1993-1994.  Five of the babies hemorrhaged again after returning home from the hospital, resulting in one death.  The babies had lived in homes with major water damage, plumbing leaks, and flooding. 

How to Stop It

Removing carpeting, drywall and insulation, cleaning all surfaces and applying an anti-fungal agent can kill mold. However, it is still best to hire an expert who has the right protective clothing and equipment to deal with it.

READ  Factors to Consider in Choosing the Right Cladding System

Mold is sometimes thought of as a mere inconvenience that may spoil the wallpaper or damage the paint work, but the truth is, it can have far more severe consequences. To safeguard the health of your family, mold should be treated as a bio hazard and removed immediately.